Friday, March 1, 2013

The Habanera Chain


The story of this post starts with me trying to find an excuse to post the following video:

This is the most delightful apparition of Bizet's "Habanera" I've yet seen, and while the song was stuck in my head during a meeting today my mind wandered its appearance in Up:

As an aside, my favorite remix of Up is the following video by Pogo, a brilliant trance musician who makes such things:


Carmen is old enough that I suspect there was no copyright fuss over Pixar's use of "Habanera" in the film, but other parts of Up's soundtrack are more problematic. A leitmotif that runs through the movie is a fairly transparent ripoff of this section of the soundtrack of Lucia y el sexo:

As Jon Hamm's staring face suggests in that last video, I first heard "Me Voy a Morir de Amor" during the episode of Mad Men where Betty Draper dreams/hallucinates vividly after a nurse sedates her for childbirth. That got me thinking- were there mainstream medical treatments during the 1960s that would cause the kind of visions Betty sees? Aside from a few niche uses, dissociative anesthetics never really caught on, and Mad Men's portrayal of the subjective effects of LSD was flippant enough that I'd hardly consider the show any kind of authority on such matters. Oh well, here's Wikipeida's article on dissociatives because if it's for anything this blog is a place for info-dumping.

I seem to collect facts and associations between them the way some people collect stamps or bottle caps. This is probably not entirely healthy, but it's good when I find myself at pub trivia competitions. As it turns out, people like people who can help them acquire free beer.

Happy Friday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment